Kadapa (formerly known as Cuddapah) is a city (municipal corporation) in Rayalseema, a region of the south-central part of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the district headquarters of Kadapa district.Know More..
Kadapa (formerly known as Cuddapah) is a city (municipal corporation) in Rayalseema, a region of the south-central part of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the district headquarters of Kadapa district.
It is located 412 kilometres (256 mi) south of the state capital, Hyderabad and is 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) south of the Penna River. The city is surrounded on three sides by the Nallamala and Palakonda hills. The city is nicknamed "Gadapa" (which means 'Threshold') because it is the gateway from the west to the sacred hills of Tirumala, which is known for its connections to Venkateswara Swamy.
The city's name originated from the Telugu word "Gadapa" meaning threshold or gate. It was spelled "Cuddapah" but was changed to "Kadapa" on 19 August 2005 to reflect the local pronunciation of the name.
Kadapa was a part of the Chola Empire between the 11th and 14th centuries AD. It became part of the Vijayanagar Empire in the latter part of 14th century. The region was under the control of Gandikota Nayaks, governors of the Vijayanagara empire for about two centuries. The most illustrious ruler during this time was Pemmasani Thimma Nayudu (1422 CE) (Pemmasani Nayaks) who developed the region and constructed many tanks and temples here. Muslims of Golkonda conquered the region in 1594 when Mir Jumla II raidedGandikota fort and defeated Chinna Thimma Nayudu by treachery. Later the British took control of Kadapa District in 1800 CE. Although the town is an ancient one, it was probably extended by Neknam Khan, the Qutb Shahi commander, who called the extension "Neknamabad". The name "Neknamabad" was used for the town for some time but slowly fell into disuse and the records of the 18th century refer to the rulers not as Nawabs of Nekanamabad but Nawabs of Kadapa. Except for some years in the beginning, Kadapa District was the seat of the Mayana Nawabs in the 18th century. With the British occupation of the tract in 1800 CE it became the headquarters of one of the four subordinate collectorates under the principal collector Sir Thomas Munro. Monuments from the rule of the Kadapa District Nawabs are still found in the town. Most prominent among these are two towers and the dargahs. In 2004, Kadapa was recognized as a municipal corporation.
Kadapa is located at 14.28°N 78.49°E14.47°N 78.82°E / 14.47; 78.82.
As per provisional data of 2011 census, Kadapa urban agglomeration had a population of 344,078, out of which males were 172,969 and females were 171,109. The literacy rate was 79.34 per cent. Kadapa municipal corporation had a population of 341,823.Hindus-75% Christians3%, Muslims-22%-
There are numerous schools and colleges in Kadapa. These include:
Kadapa railway station is located on Guntakal-Chennai line which is part of Mumbai-Chennai line.
Reproduced from Wikipedia
☎ Have a Query?
Call us on18002003855
*To close this window press ESC or click outside window.